IN LOUISIANA SENATE RACE, KENNEDY REFUSES TO DEBATE IN FRONT OF A LIVE AUDIENCE, LEADING TO HIS THIRD DEBATE CANCELLATION
Taking a page out of the playbook of one of his biggest supporters, Senator David Vitter, John Kennedy is ducking and dodging debates left and right.
One day after the Campbell campaign learned that John Neely Kennedy planned to skip two of the three Senate debates to which Foster Campbell had committed, the third debate has been cancelled. The WVLA/Nexstar debate planned for December 2nd will not go forward as planned because Kennedy has refused to debate in front of a live audience.
"Mr. Kennedy is so weak he won't even debate me. He made time to punch his membership card to the insiders club in Washington with two D.C. fundraising events last week. He's making time to talk to deep-pocketed, corporate lobbyists, but he won't make time to talk to the people of Louisiana. He's pitiful," said Campbell.
The original proposed debate rules allowed each campaign to have 125 live audience members. On Monday, Kennedy's campaign refused to participate in a joint telephone call with Nexstar/WVLA event planners to discuss the debate format.
"Either he doesn't have 125 friends who will come, or he found out that the corporate lobbyists filling his bank account couldn't get their private jets to Louisiana that day. Or, maybe he's afraid to talk about how he sold us out to Wall Street to help Bobby Jindal and won't release his tax returns. Whatever it is, he's scared and he's running from the voters. That's a weak, losing strategy," said Campbell.
On Tuesday morning, the Campbell campaign was notified that Kennedy rejected the live audience component of the debate format. Gary Wordlaw, WVLA News Director, communicated by email that Kennedy's spokesperson wanted "no live audience." Specifically, Wordlaw told the Campbell campaign that Kennedy's campaign required the debate to be "held with just the two candidates and the anchors."